Monday, June 30, 2014

Month Challenge: Ways to Save – Change and Costs at Home

At the start of May I decided that I was going to do a challenge all month long on saving. Not just money but ways to save at home. I am huge debit card user, so instead of carrying cash around I decided that whenever I make a purchase with my card I will round up on the balance. So if I spent $36.34 on gas, I was going to round up to $37 and put the $.66 in my saving account. From just our normal spending throughout May, we were able to put $28.44 in our savings. That’s just from rounding up on change!

As for saving at home, I saved some milk containers and cleaned them out. Every time I’d run the sink water, waiting for it to warm up, I’d have the water run into the milk container. The water that we would have wasted, I used to put into the dog’s water dish. We've been able to save over 10 gallons of water that we would have other wise wasted.

The small things can add up. Those were just things you would do on a normal day. Now, if I were to save the change each month on our normal purchases, averaging the $28/month, I’d have $336 in my savings from just change. That doesn't include if you take out cash and save that change as well! Also with the water, just saving from the sink is the start. It opens my eyes to what other water we waste. From taking a shower, brushing our teeth, to doing laundry. I plan on challenging myself more to save! Every penny counts!

Why don't you see what you can save for the month of July?

Post by: Sara D

No comments:

Post a Comment