Monday, September 1, 2014

No, you don’t HAVE to, you WANT to…

Face it, there are some things that we just don't like to do.  They might be a pain, a time-suck, or just undesirable.  I'm talking about things like paying bills, going to the DMV, having dinner with that friend... You have probably said it yourself, or hear it everyday from friends, your kids, coworkers, spouse, etc. - “Ugh, I have to go to work”; “I have to take out the garbage”; “I have to do my homework”; I have to, I have to, I HAVE to…do NOTHING!  

A few months ago, HCCU brought in a wonderful speaker who stirred up my thoughts and motivation to do, or not do, things I dreaded.  How, you may ask?  Simply by replacing the word “have” with “want”.  You don’t have to do anything, you have a choice about everything you do.  All these things that you think you have to do, you simply want to do.  You might be wondering, “Is she crazy, who would ever WANT to take out the garbage?” Okay, point taken.  But seriously, you do WANT to. You want to take out the garbage because otherwise it’ll stink up the house.

You want to go to work so you see that paycheck at the end of the week.  You don't have to go to work.  You really don't!  Stay in bed and just don't go if you really don't want to.  "But then I might lose my job" you say?  Right!  So get up and go to work because you want to, because you want to keep your job and keep getting a paycheck.  

You want to do your homework because you want to graduate.  Catching on?  You're not forced to do anything.  You don't have to!  You have a choice about everything, and you want to do something because of what the end result will be.  By owning your choices, you'll feel more empowered and in charge of your life.     

So remember this tomorrow morning, after the long holiday weekend, when you’re snuggled nice and warm in your bed with your blankets covering you and your alarm goes off.  Tell yourself, “I want to get up because I want to go to work today”.  Don’t tell yourself you have to, because you don’t have to do anything, you can stay snuggled up all morning if you decide to do that. It’s easy to catch on, just switch “have” with “want” and take control of your choices in life and you'll be a step closer to a positive you!  Carry this new outlook into your work week and see if it changes your attitude at all!  :)

Post by: Kelly V

Image courtesy of samuiblue at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment